1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Show Off Your Pics

Discussion in 'Photography' started by JohnRice, Sep 5, 2015.

1. Message #541 of 562 Sep 15, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    The local magazine article from my very brief venture back into Architectural Photography this summer is out. It's a lot shorter than originally promised, with about half the photos, so I'm disappointed about that. Also, they did a bad crop on the exterior in the body of the article. Makes it look like something somebody just grabbed with their cell phone. I hate to be grumpy about photo credits, but photos from another photographer were also used, and even though four of the six shots used are mine, including the primary, center spread opening one, I got second billing in photography. I know that seems like nitpicking, but things like that are just annoying, when it's your work. Things like bad crops and credit bother me more than they should.

You can see the article HERE.

BTW, that opening photo is one I shot 20+ years ago on 4x5 transparency film. The other ones of mine (on the last page) are digital from this summer and the two on the middle page are the other photog's and were shot probably 15 years ago.

If you look at the shots critically, you might see a fundamental difference in the approach between the other photographer and me. I really avoid extreme compositions and severe wide angles. It's really just a different approach, but I like to think mine is more pleasant and less showy. I like to think it shows the best of the architecture, without being extreme. Still, the fact is, the showy stuff is more popular.

2. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I see what you mean about that exterior shot, John. It certainly looks cropped. The photos are lovely, though. Besides the style difference between your shots and the other photographer's, I also liked the lighting on yours more -- it looked softer and more pleasant, which is what you want for interior shots.

3. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Very cool, John. Sorry to hear you got semi-burnt on this one.

I really respect what it takes for people to get their art into magazines, stories and other formats. It never was and never will be my bag...

4. Brian L

Brian L Producer

Sam Posten and Neil Middlemiss like this.
  5. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I went to the park the other day...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Brian L

Brian L Producer

Great shots! Hallowed ground, that is.

A couple years ago on a college scouting trip for my daughter, we went to Fenway for a tour. I had one goal, and one goal only.....I wanted some good pics of Fenway in general and The Green Monster in particular. I was actually hoping we could walk over to it on the warning track.

But nooooooooo.

After buying our tickets and starting the tour, we were told that there was a Zack Brown Band concert that evening, and the entire field was covered by a giant stage and seats. In front of The Green Monster, a row of porta-potties. :-(

The only redeeming aspect of the tour was we did get to go up to the seats on top of The Monster, but thanks to the concert, I didn’t really get any decent pics. I did learn though the the pro sound guys use annoyingly loud pink noise to EQ their systems.

7. Message #548 of 562 Oct 13, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    Scott Merryfield

Nice pics, Mike. It's cool that MLB allows decent cameras into their stadiums. Some of the major sports leagues and colleges have banned them. Heck, you can't bring anything into Michigan Stadium for a football game -- my wife cannot even bring in a small purse.

I've been to Fenway twice, back when I still followed MLB -- both times back in the 1980's. Saw the Tigers play there during two different business trips to Boston -- it was just a coincidence that my local Tigers were in town during my two trips there. Sat in center field once, among a bunch of SF Giants fans who were in town for a convention, and the other time in right field. The most amazing thing about the park for me was how the Green Monster looked from outside the stadium -- it was just a short wall, as the field in below ground.

Brian L likes this.
  8. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

My 28-year old son and I went to the game. We've been to Yankee Stadium (old and new) and Fenway many times. But this was the first time we ever went to any sort of post-season game. We got the tickets before we knew the Sox would be playing the Yankees (they beat the Athletics in the WildCard game) so it was pretty much a bonus that NYY was in town because the place was definitely rocking.

And there was the bunting and nice touches. They had Trot Nixon throw out the first pitch. They opened the gates a little earlier than announced so we got to see both teams take batting practice and do fielding work. You can see in the shot of JD Martinez in the batting cage the way he positions his tablet to shoot video. He is fanatical about the use of technology in terms of his batting.

I'm surprised to hear about how other sports control cameras, Scott. One of the nice things about Fenway is before the game begins the ushers are really cool about letting customers walk around pretty much anywhere they want (the Monster being an exception). But you can go right down to the dugouts and to the wall around the field. The players are right there...so that's a major bonus. I got a ton of shots of players, managers, broadcasters and even Peter Gammons!

One sobering thought was driven home though when I saw so many of Boston's finest (special ops) in their SWAT-team gear positioned at various strategic locations around the ballpark.

[​IMG]

9. JohnRice

John
    I revisited this pic from 2014. This is in Poudre Canyon, not too far West of where I live. Once again with HTF, the color looks a little amped up.

[​IMG]

10. Mark Booth

Mark Booth Cinematographer
    Supporter

This is video, but video is just a series of photographs going by at (in this case) 60 frames per second. :)

The link below is for a 1 minute video of a fireworks show that takes place across the street from our house every Fall (high school Homecoming night). The launch point is just a few hundred yards from our front door so it's as if the show is for our own personal enjoyment. :) Last night was our 29th year enjoying this show.

The full show was about 5 minutes long, this is just the last minute:

http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-QmC6FqW/0/ac4044f9/1920/i-QmC6FqW-1920.mp4

Sasha came out from hiding under the bed about 5 minutes after the fireworks ended. Which, compared to our first cat, is really fast. She's a tough little kitty.

Shot with my iPhone XS which I stupidly put in portrait mode when I mounted it to the tripod. Doh!

Mark

JohnRice and Scott Merryfield like this.
  11. JohnRice

John
    I got a little snarky and posted this in a Nikon forum today.

"A personal comment for all the Full Frame snobs out there.

Sometimes that other guy spent decades earning a living shooting with equipment like this, and this is just a very small sample. So, please, lecture us again about image quality and the value of good equipment. Privately, we get a good chuckle out of it, every time.

Shot with a D5500 and 18-55 kit lens, because that's all it really takes to enjoy photography."

_HND0448-1k.

12. Scott Merryfield

I don't think that will fit in my backpack when I travel, John. ;)

13. JohnRice

John
    I think the camera only weighs about 15 lbs. Another 15 (maybe more) for the tripod, then add lens and a few other things. Oh yeah, that tripod has struts on each leg, and I would hang a 10lb sand bag on each one.

14. Scott Merryfield

My back hurts just reading this. :laugh:

15. Scott Merryfield

Our hometown has several events in the park in the downtown area every year. I have posted some of the ice sculptures from past years. Some of the local businesses also sponsor scarecrows for Halloween. We took our grand niece down there today to look at the scarecrows, and of course have some ice cream. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and let's not forget the ice cream!

[​IMG]

Neil Middlemiss and Mike Frezon like this.
  16. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

My favorite flavor....BLUE! :D

Scott Merryfield likes this.
  17. Message #558 of 562 Oct 25, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    JohnRice

John
    I was looking through some pics from two years ago and came across this one from when I was going to a Colorado Symphony Orchestra concert at Boettcher Concert Hall in Denver. It was such a bright, sunny beautiful December day, and those two women standing there seemed like they were posed.

[​IMG]

Here's a pic I took in the concert hall shortly before the concert started. Normally I would never take out a camera and shoot a pic that close to the start of a concert, but there were only two other people at the other side of our section, and we were in the front row of the mezzanine. So, I clicked off a few covert pics.

[​IMG]

Scott Merryfield likes this.
  18. JohnRice

John
    I just wanted to point out that Nikon is really blowing out the D750 at some incredible prices. You can get the body and battery grip for $1,400, or add a 24-120mm for $1,900. That's for legit US distributed from a reputable seller.

Sam Posten likes this.
  19. JimmyO

JimmyO Stunt Coordinator

James Ogilvie
    Hi!

I am mostly interested in photographing women. Beauty, fashion, that sort of thing.

If you'd like to take a look, my site is www.jamesogilvie.ca

There is an image or two that I would say, to be safe, is probably NSFW. Caution. :)

I didn't even know this section was here until today. So I figured I would join in.

Scott Merryfield and Brian L like this.