1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

I gave Robert Wise's The Haunting a second chance.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dome Vongvises, Aug 27, 2002.

1. trevanian

trevanian Stunt Coordinator

Kevin
    I don't know that I'm onboard with King fully either. I really really like most of EXORCIST III, which up till the (reshot) ending does things in a mostly Lewton-esque fashion I adore, without showing much beyond an old lady JeffGoldbluming across the ceiling ...

I do agree about remake, that was a mess and a half, though some of the digital work might have been more successful if used in a different story, a totally different story.

Johnny Angell likes this.
  2. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member
    Supporter

Charles Smith
    I love SK's writings on writing, but I disagree with that, too, for two reasons.

First, because Wise's film is PERFECT. As was Shirley Jackson's novel. There's not a damned thing to "see" in either one of them.

Second, because as much as I love starting a new SK book, old or new, and they're always intriguing and massively entertaining throughout their first half, the eventual letdown comes when he himself shows you what's behind that damned door.

Johnny Angell likes this.
  3. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    I think some of King's on novels don't work well when filmed for the theater or for TV. "It" for example. I believe that became a mini-series. I remember liking the book (it's been a long time). If I recall correctly many of the characters end up attacking the monster at the end. When I read it, it was more like they were attacking an idea than an actual thing. In the series it looked more like they were battling a paper mache insect like creature. Again a long time ago, so I hope I remember correctly.

Even movies that eventually show you the creature (Alien, Jaws) show only a little for most of the movie.

4. Message #44 of 44 Apr 3, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
    Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    Well, Stephen King's preconception would ruin many a Val Lewton, Film! :D