1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

I gave Robert Wise's The Haunting a second chance.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dome Vongvises, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Rex Bachman said:

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Dome, I must agree with Seth and point out that you have at least laid out your reasons for not liking this horror masterpiece. You haven't called it a "bad movie" or used the typical line one reads here at HTF during the summers--i.e., "I hated it, it sucked!" JB

3. Dome Vongvises

Jack Briggs said:

4. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
    Agee Bassette wrote:

5. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann
    Dome Vongvises wrote:
    You're saying, then, that the canny ("the familiar") does not frighten, while the uncanny does. I see your point, but I think the distinction is artificial, since fear is never rational (any more than is love or hope or faith). Fear is always motivated underlyingly (or ultimately) by harm avoidance (whether that harm be physical or metaphysical). It is an inherent (genetically programmed) characteristic of all mortal beings, as far as I can tell,---they all shrink from harm, if they can "move" at all---and will always be present as long as the possibility of decease of being exists.
    My question to you is, if you find a phenomenon from an unknown and (presumably) disembodied source, how do you know that no harm attends it? By this, I mean, though the phenomenon itself may seem harmless for the moment, it is nevertheless a symptom, so to speak, with a still uncanny underlying cause. What do you do, especially if you find yourself in weird, possibly hostile, surroundings (a la Hill House)?
    We fear the unknown, not just because it's unknown, but because it might harm, might bring about that decease to our existence. So, we investigate (as do the protagonists of The Haunting).

6. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann
    RobertR wrote:

7. Dome Vongvises

Rex Bachmann said and asked:

8. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann

9. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Kevin Ray
    The use of of the color Orange in quotes hurts my Glazzballs real horrorshow!
    ..I'm sorry that I don't have anything more constructive to say on the subject, it's just that it has been at least ten years since I have seen Wise's The Haunting and it doesn't look like I will again very soon (on DVD at least, perhaps AMC or TCM will show it this Halloween).
    I did buy Wise's Audrey Rose(1977) on DVD recently & I find that to be about as creepy as you can get. Hopefully The Haunting will make it's DVD debut soon.

10. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Kevin,
    Turner Classic Movies shows "The Haunting" every couple of months and will show the LBX presentation of it on 9/10/02 @ 6:00 p.m. ET.

Crawdaddy

11. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Kevin Ray
    Excellent! Thank you Peter.

12. Agee Bassett

Agee Bassett Supporting Actor

13. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Like I said, many times before, name me a film that works for every viewer? You can't because such an animal doesn't exist and it never will.

Crawdaddy

14. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott

15. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

Thi

16. Robert Crawford

Robert

Didn't care for it, try again.

Crawdaddy

17. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

Thi
    Robert, I think you need to start a new thread titled, "I gave Brad Bird's The Iron Giant a second chance." In it, you post your realization that it is a good movie. [​IMG]
    ~T

18. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    I was doing a search for the TV series Second Chance and this was one of the results. An ancient thread but it's a favorite movie so I'll just throw in my two bits.

So Dome, don't mince words, how do you really feel about Eleanore? Just kidding. Even though I really love this movie, I do get how she could be like fingernails on a chalkboard to others.

Been a while since I watched it, will have to do that soon. It has always been my impression that the viewer was supposed to walk out of the theater wondering "where there really ghosts or was Eleanore just crazy?" I don't think the movie answers that. Also the movie is way too early for cgi. I believe the bulging door was a practical effect.

This is my favorite ghost film even though we see no ghosts and are left wondering if there were ghosts.

19. trevanian

trevanian Stunt Coordinator

Kevin
    Stephen King made an interesting point about Wise's film in his book on the horror genre called DANSE MACABRE, saying there is supposed to be a moment in a horror film when you get to see what is behind the door -- and Wise's film refuses to show that, so ultimately it comes off as a bit of a cheat. I'm kind of torn on the issue, because I think they would have come up short on the visual, so it was probably a correct call, but that King's observation is a sound one. For as much as SK dislikes Kubrick's version of THE SHINING, he kind of does it both ways there, with that incredible decision to DISSOLVE when Jack approaches room 217/237 ... you don't get to see what is going on till much later, but you do start seeing things then and it is just enough between visuals and music to deliver what is necessary (except that he doesn't let the boiler room blowup, that's my complaint with the film, that and Ms Duvall's character, but that's another thread.)

20. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    I'll have to disagree with King on the requirement to show what's behind the door. I'm reminded of It Came from Outer Space. The commentary and the making of doc both make a big deal of the fact that Ray Bradbury did not what the creature to be shown, he wanted it left up to the imagination. The studio insisted on a creature and that's why there is one. The creature that was in the film is not the inspired and really reveals the SFX limitations of the times.

I can't imagine The Haunting being better with visible ghosts. The remake had al sorts of CGI ghosts and I thought it Stank, IMHO. There have been effective and visible ghosts like Poltergeist and Ghost. The Ghost and Mrs Muir has a ghost visible thru most of the film but that ghost is not there to terrify the viewer.

Yeah, I know, who am I to disagree with SK. :)