1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone gone mirrorless?

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Sam Posten, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Rodulf44

Rodulf44 Guest

oh buy with mirrorless you can go - like me - vintage lenses only.

Trioplan, Biotar, Primoplan, Takumar, Primagon, Flektogon, Triotar, Pancolar and many many more (especially 50-55-58 1.4's)

This is where is magic. :)

2. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I ordered a Joby GorillaPod for $9 during Amazon's Prime Days sale. It should work well as a compact travel tripod for the Canon M50 mirrorless camera. All I currently have is a full size Feisol carbon fiber tripod with a PhotoClam ballhead, which kind of defeats the purpose of traveling light with the M50.

3. Rodulf44

Rodulf44 Guest

Be careful with gorillapod not to move the legs too much because once it gets loose - it done - you'll probably need to buy new gorillapod :/

4. Scott Merryfield

Thanks for the tip. For only $9, though, I thought it was worth the gamble.

5. Rodulf44

Rodulf44 Guest

It's really great until you bend the legs a bit too much.

6. Scott Merryfield

7. Scott Merryfield

A few shots in our back yard taken with my new EF-M 55-200mm telephoto for my Canon M50 mirrorless camera. I bought the lens used from a 3rd party on Amazon -- between the good price and Amazon credits / gift cards, it cost me about $43 out of pocket.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Brand new mount, will use adapters for F/G mount. And presumably for 3rd party ones as well.

Rumor is that it will be the first Nikon with In Body VR, matching Sony 6 axis IBIS.

Scott Merryfield likes this.
  9. Message #190 of 235 Jul 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    I hope they soundly beat Sony on ergonomics and handling. I despise how all Sonys feel, but Nikon’s tiny little D5500 is wonderfully designed and feels great.

Sam Posten likes this.
  10. JohnRice

John
    I know Sam already answered this, but I wanted to explain a bit more, in case anyone was curious or didn't understand what flexibility opens up with mirrorless and what Nikon needs to do in order to eliminate some technical limitations they currently have. With mirrorless, you can have a much shorter flange distance (distance between the sensor and the lens mount) which opens up all sorts of flexibility in lens design. So, it would be foolish for Nikon not to develop an entirely new mount. Plus, Nikon never changed their mount back in the mid 80s, like Canon did, so they're already handicapped by the diameter of their lens mount being so small. So, there's no doubt the new mount will be larger. Also, the shorter flange distance is how they can adapt their DSLR lenses without using any additional optics. In this case, the fact they haven't taken this step earlier will be to their benefit, since I expect them to be able to adapt DSLR lenses a lot more effectively. I don't expect all AF lenses will be adaptable. I suspect it will be G lenses and later. One thing I'm curious about is if they go completely electronic, including the diaphragm. If they do, the adapter will need to have circuitry to operate the mechanical aperture in most DSLR lenses.

11. Scott Merryfield

I haven't tried a Sony body, but I have read that complaint about them a lot. That's another reason I have stuck with Canon for so long -- I am very comfortable with the ergonomics of their dSLRs. The original Canon EOS M mirrorless was a mess in this regard, but their newer bodies are much better. There are a couple things I find cumbersome about my M50, but it's a lot more "dSLR-like".

12. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I haven't had a lot of time with the Sony a7iii, but the first thing I needed to change was the AF-ON button. Fortunately, the buttons are very customizable, so I was able to move the function to the AEL button.

My notion of using the Sony as a prime lens shooter is somewhat driven by the fact that the heavy Canon zooms I own just feel better paired with the 7Dii.

13. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Haven't been following mirrorless dev, but now, I wonder if the new Nikon ones will work well (if at all) w/ DX lenses like the 17-55 f/2.8 or the 18-70 (that was the D70's kit lens). IF they work, wonder what the effective (35mm equiv) focal lengths will be...

I'd definitely consider adding one if they work well together for widezoom walkaround usage...

_Man_

14. Message #195 of 235 Aug 23, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    DPReview.com just put out their first impressions of the Nikon Z7, the FTZ adapter and initial Z lenses.

And B&H is hosting some things to promote them over the next couple days as well -- just got this in my email...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/promotion/14450/oarthur.html?utm_campaign=NewAnnouncement&utm_source=Nikon 180823&utm_content=Retail&utm_term=nikon-z7-promo

Looks pretty awesome... although pricey as one can expect for fullframe... though the Z6 does run just under $2K (body-only) (and doesn't seem to miss much compared to the Z7... and might even be preferable for majority of folks... unless its AF is significantly inferior perhaps)...

Oh... and check out that new, very compact-and-light -- well, relatively speaking anyway -- 500mm f/5.6 PF VR prime(!)... not that I'm shopping for such a thing, but makes one wonder what next w/ that new-ish phase-fresnel tech, no?

_Man_

Sam Posten likes this.
  15. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    This just landed on my desk. In light of today's news, it offers a dose of perspective. :D

IMG_20180823_143819178.

Brian L likes this.
  16. Message #197 of 235 Aug 23, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
    JohnRice

John
    I expect the Sony ass kicking begins now. They've had a free ticket, but now their crappy designs, bodies and interfaces, etc. aren't going to cut it any more. Canon needs to be serious about mirrorless too.

I completely disagree that they are pricey. $3.4K and $2K are absolutely reasonable.

17. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Yeah, 2K for the z6 seems very competitive with the Sony a7iii pricing.

18. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    The $3500 500mm is pretty spicy too. Remains to be seen if using fresnels will add weird bokeh or odd lens flares tho!

19. JohnRice

John
    You gonna start a Nikon Mirrorless thread, @Sam Posten ?